We all know that golf is one of the most popular sports in the world, and golfers are also some of the most passionate people there are. If you’re wondering can you bring a golf club on a plane, here’s the answer.
You can’t bring a golf club on a plane. You might be wondering why only golf and baseball bats are banned from flying as checked luggage. The truth is golf clubs have a notorious history of causing damage to aircraft and creating a potential danger for everyone on board.
But, there’s more you need to know about bringing a golf club on a plane.
Let’s dive in.
Can You Bring a Golf Club on a Plane? (Airline rules)
You might have tried to get approval from your airline when you packed your golf clubs in a suitcase before traveling. Different airlines have different requirements for golf clubs. SO, you should check to see if your airline will allow you to bring golf clubs along with you.
That said, many airlines simply don’t allow passengers to bring a golf club on the plane, period. They don’t want any of their customers bringing golf equipment because there’s risk associated with them. You’ll have to check with your airline before you even think about getting approval for a golf club as checked luggage.
Avoiding Potential Problems While Flying with Your Golf Clubs
If you still want to bring your golf clubs with you while traveling, there are some things that you will want to consider. The first rule is that you should stick to carrying your golf clubs in your carry-on bag.
While it might be tempting to try and pack all of your golf equipment in one bag, it’s a good idea to split everything up between two bags. Even if the airline allows passengers to carry golfer’s bags, they don’t usually allow consumers to carry more than one bag.
The next thing you will want to be sure of is that you have a perfect fitting golf club head cover. You may even want to consider a golf cover designed specifically for your clubhead. It will help protect your golf equipment while traveling and make it easier for you to load your bag onto the plane.
How Much Does a Full Set of Golf Clubs Weight?
If you’re taking your golf clubs with you while traveling, you have to make sure to keep in mind the weight of your equipment. The weight will vary depending on the type of golf club you have. The average golf club weighs around 15 pounds without the grip and shafts, which is fairly heavy. So, it’s a good idea to keep this in mind while traveling with your clubs if you’re thinking about taking them on a plane with you.
How Much Does a Full Set of Golf Clubs Cost?
If you want to buy a golf set, but you don’t know how much it costs, there are some things that you will want to consider. If you decide to purchase a golf club set, you will have to talk to your local golf store about how much they cost and what features they offer.
Pricing can vary depending on the type of club head covers and even the brand of golf clubs that you decide on.
Safety Techniques for Bringing a Golf Club on a Plane
- Use a travel golf club cover. It can be an expensive investment, but it will help protect your clubs while traveling.
- Buy a flight case for your golf clubs. If you’re going to be traveling with your expensive golf clubs and don’t have a lot of extra money to spend, this may be the perfect solution.
- Check if you can bring your golf clubs on a plane as checked luggage. Even though it might be against the airline’s rules, there are some cases where it can be possible. A few airlines out there allow their customers to carry golf clubs as checked luggage, so you should talk with your airline before getting your ticket.
- Be sure to protect your clubs during the travel. You should consider protecting your clubs with a golf club head cover, especially if you’re transporting them as checked luggage.
- Consider checking the head of your golf clubs separately from the shaft and grip.
- Use extreme caution when packing and handling your clubs during travel to keep yourself and others safe.
The above safety tips should help you travel safely with your golf clubs.
Advantages of Bringing a Golf Club on a Plane
- By bringing your golf clubs on the plane with you, you will not have to wait for your clubs to be brought to you after you land at your destination. That way, you can get out to play as soon as possible.
- You’ll save a lot of money by cutting down on baggage fees by carrying only one bag instead of two.
Disadvantages of Bringing a Golf Club on a Plane
- The biggest disadvantage of bringing your golf clubs on a plane is that there is a higher chance that something could happen to your golf equipment. Because you’re bringing it on board, you are responsible for the damage and will have to deal with the airline staff as well.
- Another disadvantage is that you don’t want to leave your golf clubs unattended in the passenger area of the plane where any other passengers could get a hold of them.
The bottom line is that you’ll have to decide if you’re okay with the risks associated with bringing your golf clubs on a plane. If you choose to do so, it’s a good idea not to carry too much equipment. It would help if you also ensured that the clubs are protected in an approved club head cover and packed in the carry-on bag.
If you’re still unsure if you can bring your golf clubs on a plane, contact the airline to help you make a decision.